Sunday, June 27, 2010

Running Funk

I haven't been on here for a few weeks because I have only negative things to say about my ultramarathon training. I've had 3 awful long runs in a row and with 3 weeks left until my 24 hour race, I'm pretty bummed, freaked out, nervous, and worn out. Three weekends ago, I wanted to get in a long run at night, so my mother and I trekked to the National Mall to get in 20 miles. I was eager to get a long run with my headlamp, but Mother Nature had a different idea. 10 minutes into the run, it poured for 20 minutes straight. It being a scorching hot evening, it was such a relief at first. Then once it stopped, running in soaking wet clothing became more and more of an issue. After about 7.5 miles, I had to call it quits. Running in soaking wet clothing was going to lead to chafing, at a minimum, so we headed back home. I was really upset, but it was only one run.

Last weekend, while in Philadelphia for a friend's graduation party, I decided to do a 25 miler on the course of my 24 hour race. I didn't end up having enough time for the 25 miler, so I decided 20 would be sufficient. I really set myself up for failure on this one because 1) I didn't get enough sleep the night before, 2) It was 95 degrees and I only had one gel pack for the whole 20 miles, 3) I forgot my electrolyte pills, and 4) I was pushing myself kind of hard on the miles. I purchased a bag of peanut M&Ms halfway through so snack on throughout the second 10 miles. I guess it was the heat and my unbalanced electrolytes, but around mile 11, I felt so nauseous. I now realize I was starting to get a cold, but I could not stop coughing and I had to walk during the run a bit. I barely trudged through the run, but could only complete 17 miles.

With my internship FINALLY starting and my cold getting stronger, I didn't run much this past week. I only got in a 7.25 mile run on Thursday and thought running 26.2 miles would be a good idea this yesterday. I had my electrolytes, the right food, and my handheld water bottle, so I was set. It was a hot day, but I was mostly in the shade. Around the halfway point, I felt pretty tired, but knew I could finish it strong. As the miles added up, I felt more and more tired and slowed down a bit. Once I hit the 7 miles left mark, I felt so happy. For some reason, that mark is always a joy to see as it seems kind of like the final stretch. I had an initial high from that, but once I hit the 20 mile mark (6 miles left), the tiredness crept right back. I was just so beaten up mentally and it was such a struggle to push through. I had chafing issues, which of course just made me feel even more defeated. I was able to keep up running in my 10/2 cycle (10 min. running, 2 min. walking), but I ended up slowing down between 10-30 seconds/mile. My mother, who was biking with me, tried to cheer me up, but it was seriously a death march. I know that my 24 hour race will be hotter with much less shade, so I am starting to really feel like this race is going to be the toughest thing ever. I am sick, which I keep reminding myself definitely impacted my running capabilities. I'm just hoping in the next 3 weeks, I can get to a place mentally that has me positive and ready to take the race on.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog this morning, I'm also planning to run the Lone Ranger.

    Read your 12-hour race report.

    You're gonna crush the 20in24, just take these little setbacks in stride. Hope you shake your cold, you need your health first, you've already got the running covered.