Sunday, April 18, 2010

28 miles feels pretty darn awesome

Running your longest distance feels really amazing. I haven't been able to say that in 2+ years when I ran my first marathon and golly, it was an amazing feeling. To be able to say that I ran from Lake Needwood to DC and back, 28 miles total, feels really darn awesome.

I got up at 5:30 am so I could bake my salted potato wedges (a must on my long runs) and be off running at around 7 am. I didn't have my powdered drink mix that I normally had in previous runs (I ran out, but it was of course delivered an hour after I got back from my run), but drinking just water was do-able for one time. I actually felt amazing running with my walk breaks. The weather could not have been more perfect and I liked being out and done so early (well, when you're out for 6 hours, it's hard to be done "early"). I didn't eat as much as I should have, but I still felt pretty great.

As scary as it is to say, I could have kept going. It gives me a lot of hope that in 4 weeks, when I trek up to Rochester, NY for the Mind the Ducks 12 Hour Race, I will be able to keep going for more than 4 or 5 hours. I am getting more and more anxious for my race and I keep trying to guess how long I will be able to run for. I know a race situation will be different than a training run and with my extremely competitive nature, I will not back down easily, but it's nerve wracking. I know I will be as best prepared as I can be by then, but I can't stop the butterflies in my stomach, even 4 weeks out.

Today I have an easy 4 mile run and when that is done, I will have run 50 miles this week! That's also a first since the most I had run previously in a week was 46 miles. I love having firsts, so it keeps motivating me to run. I'm off to do that, then play in my kickball league. Hopefully my team will stay undefeated. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment