Monday, September 13, 2010

Moving back to school and Philly Rock n Roll Half Marathon

Training for the Marine Corps Marathon has been going pretty well. My ITBS *knock on wood* has been not as painful. I've been pretty diligent about about rolling it out after my runs, so I am happy that my hard work of building up a base hasn't gone to waste.

I got in an 18 miler two weekends ago and a 20 miler this past Saturday. They both went really well , surprisingly well. The biggest change from training from my ultra to my half and full marathon is speed and the lack of my walk breaks. This sounds pretty stupidly obvious, but golly, the change is pretty crazy. I will say I think I have been able to transition pretty well, even with four weeks off due to my ITBS. I have been training well and putting in some solid miles, but at some point, there's other stuff that comes into the equation. I've gotten my hopes up that I can finally break 4 hours for the marathon, but I have to realize that although I have a good distance and endurance base, I am running much faster than I have in a long time. I have been able to run the miles faster, but I wish I was just a smidge faster as I feel like I am just where I need to be to break 4 hours, without much wiggle room.

Friday, I move back to school (Drexel University in Philadelphia) and finish up my degree in Marketing. Friday night starts the beginning of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement in the Jewish religion. This requires fasting of all foods and beverages for 25 hours. You're probably wondering why this matters in a running blog, but this will affect me as I plan to run the Philadelphia Rock n Roll Half Marathon on Sunday. This means I fast starting Friday night and can then eat and drink again Saturday night, the night before the race. I am a bit nervous about not drinking at all the day before the race, but I'll make sure to hydrate a lot this week and have a very nutritious meal the night before.

Can't wait to see how my ultra training will affect my racing abilities for shorter races. I'll make sure to post a race report after I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment